In these uncertain times, the Alen team is committed to your wellbeing. That includes providing factual information about how air purifiers can and cannot protect you from coronavirus (COVID-19). In addition to the information below, you can find even more detailed data in our recent COVID-19 blog.
*IMPORTANT: if you believe that you or someone in your household might have COVID-19, take immediate action by following the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines. Alen does not offer medical advice. Consult your doctor or a medical professional with healthcare questions.
How can a HEPA air purifier help with virus prevention?
- NO air purifier can completely protect you from a virus.
- Based on independent studies, we believe air purifiers support overall wellness.
- With a heightened focus on prevention, we think air purifiers are best utilized as an extra protective measure to support your body’s most important tool for fighting viruses—a healthy immune system.
Can HEPA air purifiers capture COVID-19?
- To a degree...Yes. An air purifier equipped with a True HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air-rated filter can technically capture a portion of airborne virus-sized particles.
- But the extent of removal can ONLY be proven by proxy tests in controlled environments, which are still underway.
Can HEPA air purifiers kill COVID-19?
- No, not directly… But virus particles trapped by a True HEPA filter will lose their infectiousness (or die) within three days once isolated outside a host, according to a newly published medical study.
How long can COVID-19 remain infectious?
- COVID-19 can remain infectious for three hours when airborne and up to three days on surfaces, according to the latest published research.
- Primarily spread by droplets released when an infected person coughs or sneezes, the droplets (aka aerosols) can stay suspended for a half-hour, researchers said, before drifting down and settling on surfaces.
- Once captured and isolated, viruses cannot multiply on their own and will die without a host.
How Small are virus particles? Can HEPA filters capture that size?
- Extremely small, up to 100X smaller than dust. COVID-19 particles are between .06 to .14 microns, according to the New England Journal of Medicine.
- Yes, but the exact rate is not proven. True HEPA (grade-H13) filters are rated by the US Department of Energy to remove 99.97% of particles at or above 0.3 microns. That size represents a gap or dip in capture rate due to inertial physics. Manufacturer testing shows capture rates increase as particles get smaller than 0.3 microns, but the extent of COVID-19 removal can ONLY be proven by proxy tests in controlled environments, which are still underway.
Will Alen Antimicrobial filters kill viruses?
- No. But by capturing and killing other harmful particles, your body can focus on keeping your immune system strong day and night.
- Many Alen filters feature an antimicrobial coating capable of killing 99.99% of E. Coli and Staph bacteria, while inhibiting fungi and mold. Although not tested for viruses, these filters can contribute to a healthier indoor environment.
Which of the filters that Alen offers are best for virus protection?
- All of Alen’s filters for the BreatheSmart family and the T-500 feature True HEPA grade H13 media which performs according to the references here. The addition of carbon or MP odor powder in any of these filters would address smell concerns—not be active against a virus. feature True HEPA grade H13 media which performs according to the references here. The addition of carbon or MP odor powder in any of these filters would address smell concerns—not be active against a virus.
- The major consideration for better effectiveness is having a properly sized purifier for the room(s) involved to assure sufficient volume of air flow to capture airborne particles.
We sell air purifiers and have for 15 years, but we will be the first to recommend additional means of wellness, prevention, and immune system support in addition to breathing pure air. We encourage you to follow ALL guidelines recommended by the CDC and World Health Organization.